Marseille 2-1 Guingamp – Coupe de France Match Report

Marseille needed extra time to beat off a spirited Gungamp side to progress into the next round of the Coupe de France. It was a weekend where CDF surprises were more widespread than expected, and it was only thanks to a Pierre Andre Gignac brace, one of which was in extra time which ensured OM wouldn’t be added to the list of casualties.

The match started fairly quietly and in the first 20 mins OM found it difficult to break down Guingamp. The big positive was how sharp Gignac looked upfront though and if anyone was to break the deadlock, he seemed like a prime candidate. Unsurprisingly it was ‘Bigmac’ who made it 1-0 in the 25th minute when he finish nicely over the keeper following opportunistic OM offensive play.

The first half didn’t contain many chances though and neither team was looking particularly penetrative going forwards. It was mostly a midfield tactical battle, and Guingamp despite having fallen behind were content to keep the deficit to just one goal.

The 2nd period was the same, for the most part anyway. There was relatively little action although OM always seemed in relative control of the encounter. Remy had a chance on the hour mark when played through on goal but he couldn’t convert. Guingamp didn’t offer too much threat but appeared to be an organised team and the longer it stayed 1-0, the more dangerous it would be for OM.

The hosts could’ve made it 2-0 with 10 minutes left but Valbuena sent a curling shot but the keeper saved . Not too long afterwards, Guingamp equalled dramatically through Christophe Mandanne. A nice chipped ball was sent through the middle to him and Jeremy Morel lost his footing, failing to hold him off. Mandanne still had work to do, but he slotted past Steve Mandanda with excellent composure.

Guingamp should’ve won the match in the last minute of stoppage time but Charrier failed to convert a free header from close range. Credit to Mandanda for making an excellent save, but really the visitors should’ve buried that chance and they really let OM off the hook. The final scoreline inside 90 mins was 1-1 and it meant we were heading to extra time to determine a winner.

The first period of extra time was fairly lively, at least compared to what the match had been so far. Both sides looked like going for it, the closest anyone came was through a Gignac header which went just over the bar. Just after the restart in extra time, OM scored the wining goal thanks to a deflected Gignac volley. It was certainly a fortuitous deflection, but overall the 2-1 scoreline was a fair reflection on proceedings. Guingamp thought they should’ve had a penalty late on for a Mendes handball, but the hosts managed to hold on for victory and to scrape into the next round…….

Allez l’OM


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s